General Grant tank Starting Procedure
Discovered amongst papers accumulated by an ex-REME instructor
NOTE:- If engine fails to start, check fuel cut-off valve for poor
seating or sticking.
- 1. Make sure that the master switch and ignition switch are 'off' and
that the gear lever is in neutral.
- 2. Check the level of the engine oil by the dipstick on the filter cap
of the oil tank
(do not overfill).
- 3. Inspect the engine compartment for loose and missing parts.
- 4. If engine has been stationery for five hours or more it must be
turned by the starting handle over at least eight compressions (to check
for a Hydrostatic Lock).
If a lock is evident, remove spark plugs from
lower cylinders to pump oil out.
- 5. Check the transmission and final driver for oil.
- 6. Check the voltmeter: it should read zero.
- 7. Close the master switch and the voltmeter should read 24 volts.
- 8. Turn on the required petrol tanks.
- 9. Turn on HYCON pressure cock and check for leaks.
- 10. Prime engine if necessary (not more than four pumps).
- 11. Check clearance of the clutch pedal and then depress it.
- 12. Close starter and booster switches together.
- 13. Let the engine turn for a short while then switch the magnetos on
NOTE:- Do not prime engine whilst it is turning or switched on.
- 14. Check oil pressure gauge: should read between 60-80 lbs per sq. in.
(If the oil fails to show within 45 seconds, switch off the engine).
- 15. Check the flow of the gearbox oil by the tap situated at radiator.
- 16. Check for leaks throughout the engine and transmission.
- 17. Check the running of the engine on each of the magnetos.
- 18. Let the engine warm up before moving the tank.
(The minimum oil temperature should be 80 degrees to 100 degrees).
- 19. Do not attempt to move off until engine has warmed up for at least
Over priming and under priming will cause engine to
be stubborn in starting.
One ex-tank driver's comment:
"Can you imagine doing all this in action?"
All Tanked Up . . . by John Owen Smith
Large-format pages 48pp, photos, maps, information
Order form for books on Home Page