Craven & Co.’s Commercial Directory of Hampshire 1857 – differences coloured thus
Note: comments [in square brackets] do not appear in the original directory
HEADLEY is a large parish, forming a detached portion of the Hundred of Bishops Sutton, 8 miles south from Farnham station, 48 from London, and 4 from Liphook, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. The air is remarkably dry and salubrious, and the water of great purity. The living is a rectory, value £776, in the gift of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford; Rev Joseph B. Dykes is the incumbent. The church is dedicated to All Saints; has a square tower with 2 bells; the tower rebuilt in 1838 [no - the tower was not rebuilt - it is original late C14, but lost its spire in the fire of 1836]. A school-room was built in 1755, by the Rev G Holmes, D.D., for the education of 12 poor children, and endowed by him with a rent-charge on certain land. Here is a workhouse for the parishes of Headley, Bramshott and Kingsley. The population, in 1851, was 1,424; acreage is 7,090, 3,343 of which is waste land; about 1,600 or 1,700 acres of the latter is in process of enclosure. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor.
Hatchet[?] is quarter of a mile west; Lindford, half a mile west; Bone Lodge, 1 mile west; Harford [=Arford], half a mile north-east; Grayshot, 2 miles east; Gentle's Cot, 1½ miles south-east; Harem [=Hearn], 1½ miles north-east; Wishanger and Stream, 2½ miles north-east; Curtis and Bilfords, 1 mile north-east; Picket Hill and Bow Cot, 2 miles north.
Allen –, esq
Dykes, Rev Joseph Ballantine
Ewsters, Mrs Mary
Baker, William, farmer
Betsworth, Edmd., farmer
Bridger, Joseph, farmer
Burgoyne, George, miller
Chalcraft, Thomas, shopkeeper
Clear, John, farmer
Cole, Thomas, farmer
Curtis, Richard, shopkeeper
D’Oland, John, farmer
Elstone, Edward, grocer & linen draper
Gale, James, farmer
Gamblin [Gamblen], George, shoe maker
Harding, Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer
Keeling, Abraham, victualler, Hollybush
Knight, Edward, farmer
Knight, Henry, builder
Langrish, William, farmer
Lickfold, John, corn miller, farmer & grocer
Loe, Edward, farmer
Lucas, George Henry, master of national school
Marden, George, victualler, White Horse
Matthews, John, wheelwright
Meeres, Elizabeth & Martha (Misses), ladies’ boarding school
Ocklee, William, beer retailer, New Inn
Parfect, Richard, joiner, carpenter & shopkeeper
Parker, Robert, farmer
Petars, John, farmer
Picklow, John, farmer
Richardson, Wiliam, farmer
Slade, Edward, butcher
Sutton, William, victualler, Robin Hood
Swan, William, farmer
Upperton, James, beer retailer, shopkeeper & shoe maker
Warren, William & Sons, paper makers & farmers
Wood, George, farrier
Woodbourne, Samuel, blacksmith & wheelwright
POST OFFICE. - Thomas Chalcraft, receiver. Letters are received through Liphook; arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bramshott.
National School, George Henry Lucas, master.
Workhouse, James Bridger, clerk; William Lambert, master; Mrs Elizabeth Lambert, mistress (matron); Rev. Joseph B. Dykes, chaplain; Charles Berry, surgeon; William Busscowen, relieving officer.
CARRIER TO FARNHAM. - Charles Hockley, Thursdays.
Contact for further information.
Return to top - Headley Home Page
This site maintained by John Owen Smith