Volume 2-December 2000

Link to Headley page - Index to other Volumes

Order form





The George Holme Memorial, October 2000

opp 3

Old Mills by the Stream
Joyce Stevens


The Alderbed Dispute of 1806/7


Henry Knight, 1805-1903
Sue Allden


Extract from Headley 1066-1966 - Chapters 3 & 4
the late Canon J.S. Tudor Jones


Matthew Triggs and the 1830 Riots
Ann Viney


Indenture 1862


A Piggott Descendant Returns
Trevor Henshaw


The Canadians in Headley - 1942


Memories of Fullers Vale Pond
Elsie Johnson


Headley Miscellany is published by The Headley Society
© The Headley Society and the Authors


If there is any theme running through this second volume of the Headley Miscellany, it would seem to be water and adversity. This is entirely appropriate, as while the copy was being compiled we were reported to be having the worst floods in the country for fifty years - but the choice of material was accidental.

Along with contributions from well-established residents of Headley, we are glad to include in this issue two articles which show the bonds between the parish and the world around us.

During the summer this year, we were glad to receive a visit from Gordon Crossley, archivist of the Fort Garry Horse Regiment in Winnipeg, Canada. His was the regiment which came twice to Headley during the Second World War, and therefore holds a special place in our affections. He later sent a transcript of the regiment's War Diary for the periods during which they were in the parish. With his permission, we include extracts for the first period of their posting here (April-Aug 1942) and will continue with extracts from the second period (Feb-June 1943) in the next issue.

Out of the many requests for information that we receive from people worldwide whose ancestors came from the parish, the correspondence with Trevor Henshaw about his Piggott line has been particularly interesting. Descended from a Richard Piggott who emigrated to Australia in 1849, Trevor and his family have recently re-emigrated back to England. He therefore took the opportunity to visit Headley and trace some of his roots. His report is included here under the title, 'A Piggott Descendant Returns.'

The Headley Society welcomes the submission of articles for future editions of Headley Miscellany - please contact Jo Smith on 01428 712892, or by post at 19 Kay Crescent, Headley Down GU35 8AH, or contact me by e-mail.


In Volume 1 of Headley Miscellany, we published an article by Joyce Stevens on Dr George Holme, rector of Headley. At the end of it she said: "We are planning a memorial tablet to be placed next to that of his wife."

On 29th October 2000, the Sunday nearest to All Saints' Day, this oval tablet was unveiled at a special dedication service. It was designed and executed by Paul Wehrle, and had been paid for by subscription, donation and fund-raising, both from within and outside the parish.

[See sculptor's sketch of the tablet]


Joyce Stevens


This has proved to be one of the most difficult articles I have ever written, not because of lack of material. There is a superabundance of information provided by such knowledgeable men as Shorter, Simmons, and Crocker so that it seems presumptuous of me even to put pen to paper. In addition there is the River Wey Trust's own splendid publication of 1988 – The Southern Wey, a guide – which encapsulates all the relevant facts, beautifully illustrated with maps, sketches and photographs, and written in language easy for the layman to understand.

So the only solution is for me to write as a lifelong resident of Headley, from a personal and very amateur point of view. For years the word 'mill' meant only one thing to me - a building by a river where corn was ground into flour. The nearest was Headley Mill, a mile from my home. As a teenager between the wars this was a place I visited every Saturday morning, not for flour, but to buy layers' mash for our hens, and to have our accumulator charged. Those were the days when 'the wireless' depended on its wet and dry batteries, and the wet one had to be recharged weekly. The mill generator supplied electricity to the business and to Mr. Ellis's home next door, and I remember how the lights flickered and fluctuated with the movement of the waterwheel. Eventually, of course, realisation dawned that a mill is a building housing machinery: different machinery for different purposes and, as far as this area is concerned, the power to drive the machinery is water.

Except on the south-west boundary (Ludshott Common) the large ecclesiastical Parish of Headley is surrounded by the Wey and its tributaries, as the names of the various hamlets show: Standford, Lindford, Sleaford, Barford and Arford. For centuries man had depended upon muscle-power, his own and that of his oxen and horses. The Romans introduced water-power to Britain, and in Saxon times every Manor had its cornmill which belonged to the Lord who exacted a toll from his tenants for its use. They had no choice, anyway! By the eighteenth century there were seven watermills in Headley Parish: three in a half-mile stretch of the Wey at Standford in the south, three equally close to each other on the Barford stream on the west: and one on a deep and slow stretch of the Wey at Headley Park in the north.

Of the Standford mills, Headley Mill has always been a corn mill, plus animal feeding stuffs in modern times, and Dr. Richard Ellis has traced its history back to the thirteenth century, further back even than Headley church. It is now the only working watermill in Hampshire and one of the few left in the whole country. A few hundred yards upstream, Standford corn mill was converted into a private house in 1929, but still retains some of the old machinery.

The third Standford mill was a paper mill for nearly the whole of the nineteenth century and was run by the Warren family, in conjunction with their larger Passfield mill just over the parish boundary in Bramshott. It was here that my great grandfather, William Suter, came from Portsea to work as a journeyman paper-finisher in the late 1830s and he spent the rest of his working life there, eventually becoming foreman. When he married he lived in the mill cottage and his wife is recorded in the 1851 census as a paper-sorter and in 1861 as a bag-maker. By 1871 she was dead, but his two sons aged 18 and 16 were described as paper-finishers. Only the coarser stuff was made here, like wrapping paper and the bags for the dry goods sold by grocers. This mill burned down in 1878, and although after repair an attempt was made to start it again six years later, it never prospered. For a time it was used to generate electricity, but finally it was demolished and the stones used to build a private house on the site.

The Barford stream which rises at Hindhead and flows into Frensham Great Pond is the county and parish boundary between Hampshire and Surrey, Headley and Churt. Of the three mills, which were on the Headley bank, only their ponds and two of the houses remain. The middle mill has always been a corn mill and is recorded as early as the thirteenth century, but the other two have had a more varied history, both for a time being paper mills. Some years ago I searched the Headley church registers for mention of people employed in this industry and found the names of forty-four families from 1738 onwards through the nineteenth century.

Richard Pym was one of the earliest described as a paper manufacturer and he insured one of his mills as 'corn and paper' under one roof. This prompted a waggish friend of mine to suggest that in the not-too-distant future some enterprising miller might make flour and paper and invent a third machine to bag the one inside the other and sell direct from the mill!

The best-known name for the paper business in this area was Warren, and by 1823 there were 29 men and 40 women employed by the firm at Standford, Passfield and Barford. There were opportunities for skilled and unskilled workers, men, women and children: master paper-maker, journeyman, finisher. apprentice, machineman, engineman, layer, bagmaker, rag-sorter, picker, cutterman - these are some of the terms used in census returns. But although providing employment for a considerable number of local people, the fortunes of paper mills were variable. By the very nature of the raw materials stored in great quantity there was always the hazard of fire, and when woodpulp began to be used, instead of rags as in the past, small inland mills were forced out of business while larger mills near a port prospered. Fortunately the buildings and the waterpower remained and so could be put to other work.

In the Middle Ages it is probable that at least four of the seven mills were used for 'fulling'. Home-woven cloth would be scoured to get rid of the lanolin then hammered in a suspension of fuller's earth to put a finish on the cloth to harden it-which sounds like just the sort of felting we try to avoid now when we wash our woolies. High-grade Fuller's Earth was plentiful on the north side of Fuller's Vale Road.

Following the decline of paper-making, the upper and lower Barford mills turned to making 'flock', a cheap filling for mattresses made from wool refuse or torn-up cloth. Another product was 'shoddy', a very inferior material using shredded wool fibres-so recycling is nothing new.

Headley Park Mill, sometimes known as the 'pepper-pot', served the Manor of Broxhead. It was an hexagonal building with two cottages for workers adjoining and was producing flour until the 1890s. From 1904 until 1929 a dynamo pumped water and generated electricity for the house and laundry. Jim Clark, just starting work as a postman, remembers delivering letters to the mill cottages fifty years ago, but now the buildings are derelict. They could have been saved had planning permission been given to an artist to convert the mill into a dwelling house and studio while it was still restorable, but no. What a wasted opportunity to preserve a place of English history dating back to Saxon times.

Fortunately Headley Mill remains. Thanks to three generations of the Ellis family this grand old lady is still going strong. There is a reference to her in the Woolmer Forest records of AD978, so it is fitting to say 'she has ground her corn, and paid her tax, ever since Domesday Book'.

This article first appeared in the River Wey Trust Newsletter


From the Headley Archives

In 1806, John Willoughby senior diverted water from the Ar stream over his 'new arch' close to the junction of Barley Mow Hill and the Hanger, and into his own meadow, thus robbing others further downstream of water which they regarded as theirs.

This brought complaints from William Bettesworth of Bayfields, and Edward Benham, both of whom had land below Willoughby's.

The dispute was settled the following year, as shown by the following document:—

William Bettesworth against John Willoughby (the elder) and John Willoughby (the younger); also, John Willoughby against Daniel Knight, Charles Lee and Edward Keen

It is agreed between the undersigned Parties that the above mentioned Causes shall be discontinued upon the following Terms, Viz: Edward Benham shall continue to occupy and make use of the Water from the Watercourse Hatch opposite W. Eade's House down the old Watercourse leading through the Slabs and through the said John Willoughby's Field called the Alderbed and through Bilfords Mead to his Mead called Benham's Mead or Bilfords Mead during the first seven days of every calendar month without interruption, and that the said John Willoughby the elder shall make use of the Water over his new arch from the Watercourse Hatch opposite W. Eade's House to water part of Curtis Farm the next seven days in every month without interruption, and that the said William Bettesworth shall continue to occupy and make use of the water from the Watercourse Hatch opposite W. Eade's House down through the upper and lower old watercourses or either of them for the watering of Bilfords Mead during the remainder of every calendar month after the expiration of the first fourteen days of each month without interruption.

And with respect to the Cause Willoughby against Knight, Lee and Keen, it is agreed that the said John Willoughby's Fence of the Alderbed Field shall be put up by the said John Willoughby on the south The lower (north) end of the valley below The Hanger, 1806/7 side of the present watercourse leading to Bilfords Mead as the outside of the said John Willoughby's bounds of the Alderbed Field.

Witness our hands 4th March 1807
[There followed the signatures of the Parties, and also as witnesses: John Willoughby jnr, ?? Knight, Charles Lee, Thomas Clement and Thomas W Clement]

The text was accompanied by maps, two portions of which are shown with this article.

In the first portion, we see the following:—
Mr Eade's garden [now the Wheatsheaf] with Mill's Mead opposite; the position of John Willoughby's new arch (I); the sheep wash; Platts Garden (marked 'now The Oaks'); and the general layout of roads and watercourses at the top end of the Hanger valley.

In the second portion, we see the bottom end of the valley:—
Bilfords Mead; Benham's Mead; the River Wey; Mr Keen's Land; Mr Matthews Land; Mr Lee's Land; part of Mr Bettesworth's land; and the farmyard at Billford on Frensham Lane. [This farmyard is no longer shown on a map c.1875—Ed]

In the middle portion (not shown) is Mr Willoughby's Meadow and Slabs Waste land.

Also on the map are shown the letters indicating:—
A= a piece of Waste Land that Mr Willoughby had enclosed
B, C, D= Mr Bettesworth's water course cut out by John Willoughby junior, seen by Sophia Woodbourn 26 June 1806
E= ditto, seen by Edward Keen, Charles Lee and William Lee, 27 May 1806, and seen by Stillwell
F= ditto cut out by Edward Collins, seen by Edward Keen, Charles Lee and William Lee, 27 May 1806, and seen by Stillwell
G= the place where the ? was placed in old water course to turn water course into sheepwash trench [opposite Eade's House]
H= where Willoughby cut trench to carry water over the arch into his own land [just upstream of the sheepwash]
I= the arch built by Willoughby [by the NE corner of Eade's Garden, just upstream of the sheepwash]

Of these, the letters from E onwards are shown on the map on p.10 of the magazine.

HENRY KNIGHT, 1805–1903

Sue Allden on her great-grandfather

Henry Knight was born on 27th November 1805 at Hearn Farm into a family which had been farmers for three generations in Headley.

In 1815, as a boy of 10, he stood in front of The Royal Anchor at Liphook and watched French prisoners of war being marched up from Portsmouth to London after the Battle of Waterloo.

Fifteen years later, in 1830, he was sworn in as a special constable to help the Parish constable quell the rioters who had attacked Headley Workhouse (now Headley Grange), and his truncheon still exists.

In 1833 he married Jane, daughter of Robert Parker of Wishanger, and they moved to Arford. They lived in what is now called the Corner House. He became a builder, but continued as a farmer. One granary still exists behind the house and another stood in front. He built houses and cottages, and also acquired old cottages. By 1901, he owned 40 properties in Arford.

He had a son and three daughters-and Ellen, one of the daughters, married James Allden of Aldershot who was my grandfather.

On Ascension Day 1836 when Henry was in the congregation, All Saints church caught fire, started according to one story by a little girl called Louisa playing with matches in the churchyard. Henry Knight organised a chain of men to pass buckets of water from the Rectory pond to where he was, up on the church roof-but the fire took hold, and the spire was destroyed. [See the description given by him to Mr Laverty]

Henry Knight was both an Overseer of the poor and a Churchwarden.

Even on his 94th birthday he was riding to hounds, on a grey mare by the name of Polly—his favourite hunter—and being presented with the fox's mask to mark the occasion. He died on 4th January 1903, in his 99th year, and is buried in All Saints churchyard .


the late Canon J.S. Tudor Jones

In Volume 1 of 'Headley Miscellany,' we published the first two chapters of 'Headley 1066-1966,' written by the late Canon J.S. Tudor Jones in 1966 upon his retirement as Rector of Headley. Here are the next two chapters from the same booklet

The Church

Much of the history of any community is centred round the Church, and Headley's Church is no exception. For more than 800 years-in one form or another-it has stood as a witness to the Christian way of life. Eustace of Boulogne and his household were French speaking. The Headley people were then Saxons. The services of the Church were in Latin. But from those days through all the changes the centuries have brought, the Faith taught in the church has provided the answer to the vital questions that successive generations have asked, and it has survived because in every age men have found that it supplied their needs. When we come through the door we are following the footsteps of the men of Headley who passed through during the Wars of the Roses, maybe to receive the blessing of the priest of those days and then to cut their bows from the yews planted in the Churchyard. When we kneel at the altar, our lips are touching the same chalice from which for 400 years (it was made in 1567) the men and women of Headley have received the Holy Communion of the Body and Blood of Christ. What stories this building could tell if it could speak-from the days of our Saxon forefathers who had to surrender to the Normans, to the men of yesterday who died rather than surrender in the last Great War, and whose names are inscribed in the beautifully illuminated Book near the west wall.

Many structural changes have, of course, taken place since the first days. In William Sewell's time the Church had a spire. In 1903 the following note appeared in the Parish Magazine written by a certain Archdeacon Norris:—

"If I had not seen the sketch of your church as it was in 1842, I could not have divined the original plan of the building. Its present arrangement is altogether modern; no ancient church ever had a Western Tower occupying half the width of the Nave. Western Towers were almost always so placed as to form abutments to the walls, or to the arcades of the Nave. Your tower fulfils neither purpose: its south wall is in line with the axis of the wide modern Nave; its north wall is some 18 inches further north than the north wall of the Nave. Thus I was forced to the conclusion that the disproportionately wide Nave of 1859 occupied the area which originally had been occupied by a Nave and a side Aisle. But whether the Aisle had been on the north or the south side I could not have determined without the aid of your sketch.

"Your sketch shows that in 1842 the slopes of the roof were not symmetrical, the southern slopes being shorter than the northern-the northern having been lengthened to cover a side aisle. This north-side aisle seems to have been separated from the Nave by an Arcade. For you will observe that after the removal of the Chancel two buttresses were erected against the Nave's eastern gable; the southern buttress of smaller projection sufficed as abutment to the south wall of the Nave; the other buttress is of much greater dimensions, and is placed just where an Arcade between Nave and north Aisle would need abutment to counteract its Eastward thrust. Those who thus repaired the church would never have placed so large a buttress in this position, unless there had been standing an Arcade behind it, requiring something to lean against at this eastern end, as it leaned against the Tower at its western end. I take it, the demolition of the old Chancel (whose width is exactly shown by these two buttresses) had so weakened the Arcade that it would have become ruinous but for this buttress.

"The Northern wall of the new Nave of 1859 seems to have been built a little to the South of the line on which the wall of the north side originally stood. The ancient arch of the Tower-of no great height, but high enough to show that the side Aisle must have had an independent roof of its own, not a "lean-to"-is internally the only indisputable relic of the ancient structure. The restorers spared the ancient Tower, which was built, I take it, in Richard II's reign. The pinnacles and parapet are of later date. There is one problem left which I cannot solve-how to account for the apparently ancient beams which now extend over the whole width of the modern Nave. That they are ancient appears from their being shaped with an adze, not with a saw. If they existed in the ancient church, they must have spanned the whole width of Nave and Aisle, resting upon the Arcade in some way (as at Grasmere Church, in Westmoreland). But this is so unlikely that I prefer to suppose that they were brought from some neighbouring barn, or other ancient building."

The following note was written in 1935 by P. M. Johnston, F.S.A.

"There has been a Church on the present site since the 12th century at least-possibly succeeding to a Saxon Church of timber. Of this 12th century building only one feature remains-a plain Late Norman doorway, now built into the Vestry, which was probably the Priest's doorway in the N. wall of the Chancel, removed to its present position when the Vestry and Organ Chamber were built. With the exception of the picturesque 14th century Tower at the N.W. of the Nave, the walls of the Church were entirely re-built, with some modifications in the plan, in 1859, at a time when scant respect was shown for ancient things, and when our fathers were only too ready to exchange old lamps for new. It is pleasing, therefore, to record that in this case so many original features were preserved from the ancient fabric and re-built in the re-construction. First and foremost among these is the magnificent roof of wide span and massive timbers, which sits so grandly upon the Nave walls. It dates from the last quarter of the 14th century, and its great width (about 26ft.) is quite exceptional in a Parish Church. Its tie-beams, king-posts and wall-plates are all heavily moulded, and the braced collar and rafter construction is very massive. On one king-post near the west end is carved the head of a man-possibly meant for the master-carpenter, who took an affectionate pride in his work.

"The Chancel roof is modern and poor: the Chancel arch appears to date from 1859, but possibly some of the stones may be old ones re-worked. In the north-east window of the Chancel, however, almost completely hidden, is a magnificent panel of painted glass, of brilliant colouring, dating from about 1260. It represents the martyrdom of a Saint and is a very valuable relic of medieval art, of the same period and bearing marked resemblance to the world-famous glass in Chartres Cathedral.

"There are several large 17th and 18th century monumental tablets on the walls deserving notice, but otherwise all the fittings and furnishings of the Church are modern, except, perhaps, the Font, of 15th century type, octagonal, with quatrefoil panels on the bowl. This, if old, has been re-worked.
Of the other ancient features incorporated in the re-built walls there are: a short 13th century lancet in the south wall of the Chancel; a good two-light window of about 1380 in the south wall of the Nave; and a fine three-light window, with somewhat elaborate super-tracery, in the west wall, of the same date, which, from the evidence of a water-colour drawing preserved in the Vestry, would appear to have been removed in 1859 from its original position as the east window of the Chancel.

"The south doorway, like these windows, is of clunch, or Surrey 'Fire-stone'-not very suitable for external use, owing to its soft texture. It has a flat four-centred head and is of about 1500. The oak door was presented by a Miss Ballantine Dykes in memory of her sister.

"The Tower of Headley Church is a beautiful little feature. Excepting the parapet, with its battlements and pinnacles, which replaces the spire, burnt in 1836, the tower is of about 1380. It has no buttresses, but the walls are solidly constructed of hard sandstone rubble, partly plaster-coated [it was re-plastered in 1996 —Ed], with quoinings and string-course of sandstone ashlar, and charming tracery windows of two-lights in the white clunch, dug from under the chalk in the neighbouring hills. There are four of these pretty windows in the top or bell-stage, a single-light trefoiled opening in the middle storey; and another two-light window like those above, but with the addition of a hood-moulding in the west wall of the ground storey. Finally, there is an excellent 14th century arch leading from the Tower to the Nave." [This is a shortened version of the original report—Ed]

The Communion vessels are among the oldest in the land. The official description of the chalice is as follows: The bowl is plain, slightly tapered, and has a round stem and small banded knop. There are vertical bands with stamped moulding above and below the stem, and the foot is domed. The paten cover is domed with small foot. The height of the chalice is 7¼ inches and the weight is 8 oz. 15 dwts. The diameter of the cover is 4 3/8 inches and the weight 3 ozs, 3 dwts. Marks: London Assay for 1567 (small block letter K with dot below it) and RD linked letters for Robert Danbe.

The Flagon was given by Dr. Holme in 1734. The body is tankard-shaped, engraved with the sacred monogram within rays, and has a splayed foot. It has an S-handle, and a domed cover with thumb-piece. The height is 13½ ins. and the weight 50 ozs. 12 dwts. Marks: London Assay for 1734, and EV with crescent above and amulet below for Edward Vincent. Inscription : S. Stae Trinitatis Honori, et in usum Ecclesiae de Hedley. Com. Southton. D.D.D. Georgius Holme, S.T.P. ejusdem Ecclesiae Rector A.D. 1734.

There are also two pewter Alms Plates, one of which has apparently been a paten, inscribed 'Hedly'.

The fire of 1836

Mr. Henry Knight told Mr. Laverty that he was on the roof assisting to extinguish the flames tho' his friends tried to persuade him to come down. By-and-bye the shingle of the spire had all burnt away leaving only a solitary upright iron rod on which the vane was. So in order to prevent this from falling on the roof, the people below fired bullets! at the vane, but with no effect, for by and bye it fell into the old gallery and of course set it on fire. The fire broke out in a shed which was then close by the Church (the churchyard not being so big as now) owing to some straw catching alight from matches with which some children were playing. A drawing of the Church as it was according to the best of Mr. Knight's recollection is to be found in Macmillan's edition of White's Selborne (1875), illustrated by Mrs. Laverty's father (Professor De la Motte).

Memorials on the walls of the church

(1) Here lies William Huggins Esq. first a scholar of Charterhouse, then a Fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford. His genius was so happy, quick and versatile that he easily acquired whatever befits a scholar and a gentleman. He was versed in well-nigh every branch of literature and made a special study of Italian poetry. He enriched his native language by a faithful translation of the great Poet Dante and the inspired songs of Aristo. In private life he was courteous, polite and witty; in public serious, of proved integrity and most patriotic. Though fit to move in a Court, he lived modestly in the country far from the Court. [This refers to the fact that in his early years he held a Court appointment.] His life was one of leisure, but his leisure was never without occupation. By his administration of the laws, by composing the differences of neighbours, by helping all according to his means, he gained respect as a citizen and a magistrate. He died on July the 3rd A.D. 1761, aged 65. [William Huggins lived at Heath House "later Headley Park".]

(2) Sacred to the memory of Catharine, the deeply regretted wife of George Holme, D.D., Rector of this Church, the fifth daughter of John Leigh, Esq., of North Court in the Isle of Wight. She was a truly remarkable woman, adorned with intellectual gifts as well as physical beauty, in whom the fire of continual devotion to God, ready charity towards her neighbour, and wifely love for her husband burnt unceasingly. She gave a hundred pounds to increase the value of this Benefice, also eighty pounds to build Hedley School; also, when dying, she left twenty pounds to the poor, whom she had always assisted in her lifetime. After enduring for more than 10 years with wonderful patience the torture of a painful disease, she fell asleep peacefully in the Lord on June the 3rd, A.D. 1760, aged 80.
Her husband, deeply mourning, set up this monument, that the memory of her many and great virtues might not quickly perish, and that some record might survive of his own love for his excellent wife.
The new memorial to her husband, Dr George Holme, was placed next to hers and dedicated on 29th October 2000

(3) To the memory of the Reverend William Sewell, Clerk, A.M. Rector of this Parish and Fellow of Queen's College, Oxford. A man of extensive learning and unbounded charity. He was presented to the Rectory of Headley in the year 1765 and continued to hold it till the time of his death in the year 1800, a period of 35 years, the whole of which time he spent in the bosom of his parishioners, discharging the religious and moral duties of his profession with unceasing diligence and most exemplary piety. He died on the 18th day of October 1800 in the 80th year of his age. [So much for the official eulogy, but his grandson presents a slightly different picture] We will include this in a future edition - Ed

Other mural tablets commemorate Dame Anna Maria Gatehouse, the daughter and heiress of William Huggins; the Rev. John Parson, a curate of Mr. Dickinson's, 1822-29; Mrs. Henrietta Dickinson, wife of the above; Mrs. Parish, the wife of Admiral Parish; Dr. Bailey; Brigadier General E. Stokes-Roberts; Mr. and Mrs. Smithes of Eveley; Mr. W. T. Phillips of Hilland and his son John, the latter a Lt. Colonel in the R.A. who died of wounds in North Africa 1943; The Rev. W. H. Laverty; Mr. G. A. McAndrew of Headley Park, a Churchwarden for many years; and Mr. William Gamblen, who was Postmaster for more than 60 years, Parish Clerk for 45 years, and Chorister for 75 years.

A tablet in memory of the men who died in the War of 1914-1918 is placed on the south wall to the left of the door and a memorial book wherein is inscribed the names and brief particulars of the 48 men of the parish who fell in the War of 1939-1945 is to be found in an oaken case placed against the west wall. The page commemorating each man is displayed twice a year. The book is exquisitely produced, the main calligrapher being the late Graily Hewitt of Liss, a prominent member of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators. [Ida Henstock of Petersfield the illuminator - Joyce Stevens]

On the title page are recorded the words of Robert Brooke:
These laid the world away: poured out the red
Sweet wine of youth: gave up the years to be
Of work and joy, and that unhoped serene,
That men call age

The case of Hampshire oak was made by H. Barnsley of Froxfield. Mr. Barnsley was at that time commissioned by the Government of Southern Rhodesia to make caskets for presentation to King George VI, and, for the Canadian Government, special chairs for Westminster Abbey.

The Churchyard

The original Churchyard was a small area of ground immediately round the Church and it is there that the earliest graves are situate. Mr. Dykes added half an acre to the West in 1868, and in 1909 Mr. Laverty added a further acre to the West of the Rectory garden. The third addition, between Mr. Laverty's part and the Council houses, was brought into use in 1965 and this should be sufficient for the needs of the parish for a considerable time, particularly since in these days there are so many cremations. To provide for the reverent interment of the ashes of those cremated, a plot of ground, surrounded by a hedge and planted with rose bushes, has been set apart on the south side of Mr. Dykes' addition.

In his earlier years Mr. Laverty deciphered all the headstones in the Churchyard. Some of the more ancient are very beautifully carved and others unusual in design or inscription. One near the Vestry door shows an early portrayal of the manner in which the resurrection was pictured, a coffin with a pushed back lid carved on it; another has an inscription thus:

Lo! here we lie
All covered with cold clay

Not very appropriate in a light and sandy soil; another in memory of a boy of ten years who lived at Stream and whose parents went afterwards to America:

The cup of life just with his lips he pressed,
He found it bitter and declined the rest

And, finally, 'Her death was occasioned by the bite of a mad dog'.

An unusual and most interesting stone coffin lid, on which the outline of a sword (denoting a priest) is faintly traced, can be seen leaning against the wall to the right of the door leading into the Rectory garden.
The sundial near the main door was made by Rilbright of London in 1784, when John and William Lee were Churchwardens. It was still used by the Clerk to tell the time in 1875, the clock not being given till 1900.

The 1914-1919 War Memorial commemorating the 96 Headley men who fell in that war was unveiled on July 4th 1920 by Major General W. D. Brownlow, C.B. It stands between the east end of the Church and the road. [The 48 names from the World War 2 Roll of Honour were added to the Memorial in 1995 - Ed].
Some people apparently asked for a Tablet to be placed inside the Church and this was unveiled in September 1920 by Mr. W. T. Phillips, J.P. of Hilland.

A very handsome seat given by Sir Harry Brittain in memory of his wife Alida and designed by Mr. John Reid is situate on the west side of the porch. Lady Brittain's memorial stone is by the same eminent Scottish sculptor.

The Lych Gate was erected to commemorate the Queen's Coronation and was dedicated in May 1954. The work was designed and carried out entirely by Headley men, among whom were Messrs. R. L. Robinson, E. E. Nash, K. J. O'Brien, J. Wakeford and H. Fyfield, the overall supervision being in the hands of Mr. C. K. Johnson-Burt, the designer of the Mulberry Harbour in 1944. Inscribed on the arch above the Gate on entering are the words 'Enter into his gates with thanksgiving', while on leaving the Churchyard the words 'Go forth into the world in peace' catch the eye. A photograph of the opening of the Gate appeared in 'The Times'.

To be continued in the next issue.


Ann Viney

Matthew Triggs was born in Hollywater and baptised in Headley Parish Church on 23rd September 1792. He was the seventh and last child of Hannah and William Triggs of Stedham, Sussex. The family moved to Hollywater in 1786, when William bought a cottage from John Shrubb of Stedham.

By April 1802 William had died (probably in 1794) and in January 1804 his eldest son, also William, mortgaged the cottage with the outhouses, garden and orchard to Thomas Draper for £20. Interest not having been paid, for a further payment of £30 the cottage was sold to Thomas Draper in December 1808, with Hannah having dower rights for her lifetime. During the years 1800-1808 William (son) was serving with the South Hampshire Militia, mostly in Sussex, for the payment of one shilling and eleven pence per month.
Life must have been difficult for Hannah, but Matthew, working as a labourer and later as a bricklayer, would have been able to contribute towards the household.

Matthew married Mary Croucher of Kingsley in Headley Parish Church on 30th August 1820. Although his mother was still alive, she did not witness the marriage, but Ann his sister did and also James Shrubb. They lived in Hollywater and had five children, the last one being baptised on 23rd May 1830 in Headley.
Matthew enjoyed his pint of beer and this probably helped in his downfall, as on the 23rd November 1830 he was heavily involved in the riot at Headley when the workhouse was destroyed. It is recorded that thirty gallons of wine were found in the cellar and this was soon consumed by the mob. Matthew climbed onto the roof of the Poor House and was soon stripping the tiles.

For his part in the rioting he was sentenced at Winchester on 27th December 1830, to be transported to Australia for life. With 135 other convicts he sailed on the convict ship Eleanor on the 19th February 1831, bound for New South Wales.

According to the Medical Journal of Surgeon J. Stephenson, "no set of men perhaps under similar circumstances ever suffered less from disease." He considered it was due to the strictest attention to cleanliness, dryness and ventilation and, as far as could be done, the constant occupation of the prisoners. Also they were fortunate in having a delay of a week at the Cape where fresh beef, vegetables and soft bread were obtained. On 29th June 1831 the ship arrived in Port Jackson and on 11th July, all of the convicts were disembarked.

Matthew was one of the eleven convicts assigned to William Harper, who had 2,000 acres of land called Oswald, on the Hunter River near Maitland, N.S.W. Coastal vessels plied between Sydney and Maitland; the distance was 120 miles and it was about a 24 hour trip.

There was a lot of sympathy in N.S.W. for those convicted during the Agricultural Riots of 1830, and life for Matthew was probably a good deal better. Food and clothing was supplied by his master and, if he behaved well, he may occasionally have been given a coin or two, but would this have made up for the loss of his wife and children? Although he was pardoned by Royal Warrant dated 13th October 1837 (which he did not receive until January 1839), it was only a conditional pardon, which meant that he could not return to England. He could read but not write, and it is not known if he had any contact with his family.
According to the 1837 Convict Muster, Matthew was still working then at Oswald for Mrs. Harper. He died in the hospital on 30th November 1853 and was buried in West Maitland.

Life for his wife Mary was very different. She had a family to care for and times must surely have been hard. For some years the family lived with Mary's grandmother, Jane Tuckey, in Hollywater, but when she died in 1840, aged 90, the cottage was sold and Mary moved around the district. In 1851, her children then being married, she was a housekeeper in Frimley and noted as a widow. In 1861 she was lodging with Hannah Kiese in Headley and worked as a charwoman.

Later Mary moved to the Crown Inn at Arford and lived with her daughter Sarah and son-in-law James Upperton, who was the innkeeper. She died there of dropsy in August 1876, aged 72. She had lived to see four of her children married, and a son William killed in a war; she had 15 known grandchildren and had outlived Matthew by 23 years.

No doubt the riots of 1830, the distress felt by many people and Matthew's part in it were discussed within the family, as it is known that his grandson, Bill Triggs, made a search for information of events in 1899. I have certified copies of the baptism and marriage of Matthew, which Bill obtained from, and were signed by, the Rev. Laverty.

Mary and Matthew Triggs were the great, great, grandparents of my husband, Philip.

Matthew Triggs was the only Headley man to be transported as the result of the 1830 riots. For more information on this, read 'One Monday in November,' published 1993.


In the days when young people were apprenticed to a Craftsman for a number of years to learn the trade, Indenture documents such as the one shown here were drawn up setting out the rules which the Apprentice should abide by for the Term of his Apprenticeship. In this document (full text shown below), Jesse Bone is to be apprenticed to Henry Powell to learn the art of the carpenter.

This Indenture Witnesseth that Jesse Bone of the Parish of Headley in the County of Southampton doth put himself Apprentice to Henry Powell of the Parish of Headley in the said County, Carpenter, to learn his Art and with him after the Manner of an Apprentice to serve from the Eighteenth day of August One Thousand Eight hundred and Sixty two unto the full End and Term of Five Years from thence next following to be fully complete and ended During which Term the said Apprentice his Master faithfully shall serve his secrets keep his lawful commands everywhere gladly do he shall do no damage to his said Master nor see to be done of others but to his Power shall tell or forthwith give warning to his said Master of the same he shall not waste the Goods of his said Master nor lend them unlawfully to any he shall not commit fornication nor contract Matrimony within the said Term he shall not play at Cards or Dice Tables or any other unlawful Games whereby his said Master may have any loss with his own goods or others during the said Term without Licence of his said Master he shall neither buy nor sell he shall not haunt Taverns or Playhouses nor absent himself from his said Master's service day or night unlawfully But in all things as a faithful Apprentice he shall behave himself towards his said Master and all his during the said Term And the said Master in consideration of the Sum of Ten Pounds of lawful money of great Britain in hand paid by his said Apprentice in the Art of a Carpenter which he useth by the best means that he can shall teach and instruct or cause to be taught and instructed Finding unto the said Apprentice sufficient Meat Drink Tools Lodging and all other Necessities during the said Term, (Clothing Mending Washing and Doctor's Bills excluded) and in addition to Meat Drink and Lodgings the said Master shall pay or cause to be paid to his said Apprentice the sum of one Shilling per week during the Third year of the said Term Two Shillings during the Forth year and Three Shillings during Fifth year of the said Term And for the true performance of all and every the said Covenants and Agreements either of the said Parties bindeth himself unto the other by these Presents In Witness whereof the Parties above named to these Indentures interchangeably have put their Hands and Seals the Twenty Second day of August and in the Twenty Sixth Year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lady Victoria by Grace of God of the united Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen Defender of the Faith and in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixty two.

Witnesses: Henry Howard Collins; W. Suter

William Suter was the gt-grandfather of Joyce Stevens who found this document.


Trevor Henshaw

My mother Lillian Piggott was born in 1909 at Booleroo Centre, in the central north of South Australia. She arrived on a searingly hot February day, the latest resident of this small pioneering town, set in its folds of white-gold grasslands and parched, summer-dry hills. This little girl's grandfather, who had died some fifteen years previously, was Richard Piggott of Headley, in Hampshire.

Richard Piggott was born the eighth of ten children of John and Lucy (neé White) Piggott, and was christened in Headley parish church on 29th Nov 1820. His father John was an agricultural labourer and, perhaps notably, some 55 years old at Richard's birth. Census records suggest that John and Lucy's home may have been towards the Lindford end of the village. The family would have all witnessed the momentous happenings of the Headley Workhouse Riots of 1830, and one can imagine a wide-eyed ten-year-old watching these events with a genuine mixture of fear and youthful fascination.

Richard can be found at age twenty in the 1841 Census, working as a man servant for William Swann at Moorhouse. Three years later he surfaces once more, marrying Susannah Harris on 21st July 1844, again in Headley parish church. Susannah does not appear to have come from the village. By 1848 they were living in Yorkshire, Richard working as an agricultural labourer.

Subsequent events show that the couple had begun to contemplate emigration. And so it was that Richard and his family travelled to Portsmouth in 1849 and set sail on 18th July at 8 o'clock, bound for Port Adelaide, South Australia, and a new life. They emigrated aboard the Duke of Wellington whose master was Capt RM Miller. By this time they had a daughter Martha (christened 31st May 1846 at Headley) and a son John (no certificate so far found, but born almost certainly in 1849, possibly in Yorkshire).

We have significant details of this ship, and also the full passenger list for this voyage, and it confirms the sad events which struck this family on the journey - the death of both small children at sea - Martha by diarrhoea on 7th Sep 1849 and John of pneumonia on 21st Oct 1849. How their parents coped with this double tragedy we can scarcely guess at. The parents arrived childless at Port Adelaide on 9th Nov 1849. Curiously, there is also an 11-year-old George H Piggott listed with this family group, who is recorded as surviving the voyage and doubtless went on to grow up in Australia. He may have been Richard's nephew, but within our family we have no record of this individual beyond this single mention of him. Nor is there an appropriate Headley census record for this youngster.

It is believed that Richard went to Australia to manage an estate bought up in South Australia by others from England. However, by 1853 he himself had bought land at Clarendon in the Adelaide Hills, a beautiful part of the State, and began to farm there. I believe he must have found farming profitable as during the Victorian goldrushes of the 1850s it was alleged that he was the only man left in Clarendon!

Fate had not finished with Richard, however, for his wife Susannah was to die at the pitifully young age of 29, on 6th May 1854, a victim of consumption. The probability is that she had been poorly in England and that there had been the hope of some recovery in the warmer Australian climate. It was not to be. Fortunately for me, of course, he remarried. He met Eliza Ann Beaumont, originally from St Mary's Hoo, near Chatham in Kent, and they married at Clarendon on 9th Aug 1854.

The rest, as they say, is history, leading ultimately to my mother, then me, and to my own little Richard, his great great grandson - at three-years-old, the first of his direct family to be born back in England since his own birth 180 years ago.

Richard and Eliza had seven children. His youngest was named Llewellin Herbert, born in 1871, and he was my grandfather. My mother gave me Herbert as one of my names. Grandpa lived until he was almost 93 and I am delighted to say I have some treasured memories of being with him on visits to his farm near Burra, South Australia. Here, my very old, very affectionate grandfather and his wonderfully warm wife Annie always made us so completely welcome. I especially treasure the cine film my father took of these days.

All the family were pioneering settlers in South Australia, and Piggotts still farm land near Booleroo Centre which Richard purchased in the 1870s. My grandfather Herbert's farm at Burra also remains in the hands of my cousin Ron Piggott and wife Jill. Burra is 80 miles north of Adelaide, not far from Clare - this should be a location readers have seen on bottles of wonderful Australian wine!

One cannot imagine the contrast between the beautiful wooded vales which surround Headley, and the sunburnt golden grasslands in which the Piggotts made their home in Australia. And yet within two generations, offspring of farm labourers had become established landowners, in my grandfather's case residing in the wonderful old farmstead that I remember so vividly from my youth. He had laid out a tennis court, and made a shady garden of fruit trees and flower beds to sit and relax in on warm evenings. Somewhat bizarrely, they even formed their own boating club on the stretches of nearby Porter's Lagoon - a salty, seasonal pool I remember being more mirage than waterway.

Returning to Richard's story, Herbert and Annie looked after him in his old age, until he died of acute bronchitis on 23rd Sept 1895. He is buried at Morchard, near Booleroo Centre in South Australia, close to where he spent most of his last years.

One other notable point is that the house, if one could call it that, which Richard first built at Clarendon in the 1850s is still preserved to my understanding, in much the original condition, although in some danger. It was written about in a book published in 1983 and the following was noted:—

" Section 758 on which the buildings are situated was owned by Richard Piggott. Piggott appears in the 1865 Directory as a 'Farmer, near Clarendon' and in 1890 the property was occupied by EJ Masters, who according to the late occupier of the property Mr Keith Kieley, was the coachman to Captain Servante of 'Fern Hill,' Dashwood Gully. Mr Kieley's family has been associated with the property since about 1917. He maintained that Piggott built the house and Masters extended the original two rooms. This would appear to have been verified by the above.

"The two most significant structures to remain are unfortunately in poor repair. The cellar, typically built into the side of the hill, is most interesting since it retains a type of thatched roof in very good order beneath the present corrugated galvanised iron cladding. The cellar is approached from below, while the loft with the thatched roof is entered through an opening in the gable. Rafters are crudely shaped timbers with saplings as purlins. The house, in particularly poor repair, is interesting because of its quality casement windows set below timber lintels and the lath and daub internal walls. Internal timbers and roof structure would appear to be pit-sawn. Both the house and cellar are of rubble masonry with timber lintels over openings. The buildings are very original although dilapidated and threatened by natural forces. One wall of the house has fallen."

Grandpa Herbert would always say proudly how his father had been born in Hampshire, so it is wonderful to have found and become acquainted with this man's village for myself. I was in Headley for the first time in early 2000, and in the churchyard I was amazed to find the gravestone of a Mark and Maria Piggott. Looking at my records that night I discovered that Mark was Richard's youngest brother. Their gravestone would appear to be the single last physical remembrance of this old Headley family in their village. Another of Richard's brothers, Steven, saw his son Walter become landlord of the Robin Hood and Little John pub close by the ford at Standford in 1885, but the building he knew is now demolished and the pub rebuilt.

Richard's elder brother Charles also emigrated to Australia. He and his wife Anne left the shores of England with their family on 5th July 1852. As yet, however, I do not know the name of their ship. They departed with three Headley-born children, and eventually produced another eight in Australia, further populating the Clarendon district with Piggotts. There is a road named after his family in this part of the Adelaide Hills.
[We have Pickett's Hill in Headley, the surnames Pickett and Piggott in various spellings being interchangeable within the same family-Ed]

In respect of Headley, readers may finally be interested to note that the Piggotts travelled out with another family from the village-that of George and Harriet Gardner-a fact I discovered when I thought to search for other possible Hampshire folk on that voyage of the Duke of Wellington. When one looks at the passenger listings, however, one finds that the father of that family, George Gardner, also died at sea. What a disaster it must have been for them. What on earth were conditions like on that vessel? Besides Gardner and little Martha and John, another three infants are recorded as dying aboard ship on their way to Australia.
That there were others from Headley on board the Duke of Wellington had not been known to my family before-in fact, I have to say very little has been known about Richard prior to arrival in Australia until I began digging down Headley way. I live in England now with my family. Just as that part of South Australia to which Richard Piggott and his descendants travelled so many years ago has always moved and delighted me, so too a small piece of Hampshire has now become, in a real sense, home ground again.

You can contact Trevor Henshaw by e-mail


Extracts from the War Diary of the Canadian Fort Garry Horse Regiment
during their first posting to Lindford and Headley, April-Aug 1942
see also the Full War Diary for this period

Their first week in Lindford & Headley:—

Wednesday 1/4/42: Cold and bright - Rain in afternoon. The Regiment left Aldershot and marched the 12 miles to their new quarters, arriving at 1500 hrs. Arrangements for their reception had been completed by the Advance Party and they were settled in quick order.
Thursday 2/4/42: Warm and bright. The day was spent in cleaning up areas. Sqn. locations were plotted. Officers get plenty of exercise walking between Messes and Orderly Rooms. The Auxiliary Services were already functioning with a show for the men at Hatch House Barn. The show "In Name Only".
Friday 3/4/42: Warm and bright with heavy rain in evening. Sqns continue work cleaning up in Sqn areas. Several keen gardeners have already put in small lots with various seeds. A Concert Party at the Headley Village Hall was very well attended and was pronounced a great success. Trooper Naylor of 'C' Sqn sustained injuries when he fell from a top bunk and was taken to 24th Fld Amb.
Saturday 4/4/42: Fairly warm with some cloudy periods. The Commanding Officer inspected the Sqn Areas this morning. Although a big improvement has been shown further attention is needed to bring them up to "Garry" standards. Trooper Jorgensen of 'C' Sqn returning to his lines across country mistook a river for a road and arrived home somewhat damp.
Sunday 5/4/42: Very bright and warm. Church Parade to churches at Headley (Prot.) and Bordon (Cath). The afternoon was spent by most members of the Unit in exploring the countryside.
Monday 6/4/42: Cloudy with some showers. Normal training resumed throughout the Sqns. Classes on Browning, 37 millimetre, M3 Tank and 2 pounder are being held. Dance was held in Headley Village Hall.
Tuesday 7/4/42: Cloudy with rainy periods. Troops are beginning to feel at home in their new location and general opinion appears to be that it is preferred to Aldershot. Normal training continues.

Selection of entries until 21st August:—

Friday 10/4/42: Cloudy but clearing in afternoon. Normal Sqn training. Advanced driving training (unditching vehicles, road repairs, etc) is being instructed. The Regimental Dance Band which has been practising assiduously recently played for a Dance at Headley Village Hall. Although there was a slight scarcity of partners the evening and the Band were both successes.
Wednesday 15/4/42: Bright and clear. Cool. Normal Sqn. training. Bicycling is fast becoming the hobby and means of transportation of a number of officers and other ranks.
Saturday 18/4/42: Bright and clear. Ground is drying and mud has disappeared. Afternoon allotted to Sports. Baseball and Softball is very promising. The local residents are very interested but find it hard to understand. An 'Alert' was sounded at 0215 hrs and Sqn guards turned out. 5 bombs were dropped at some distance away to the South-West.
Friday 24/4/42: Cloudy and windy. Cool in morning. Becoming warm in afternoon. Unit moved to Frensham Common at 0900 hrs. At 1500 hrs 'Stand To' was sounded by Garry Trumpeters on the arrival of Their Majesties the King and Queen. After the Royal Salute was given Their Majesties made a tour of the Brigade in the field. Their Majesties displayed keen interest in the many phases of Armoured Corps Training which were being carried out. After the Inspection the entire Brigade doubled over to the Circle around their Majesties car and three cheers were given led by Brigadier Rutherford. Then the Westminster Band played "Rule Britannia" and as the Royal Visitors moved off Lt-Col. Gianelli of the L.S.H. [Lord Strathcona's Horse regiment, who were posted in Headley Down at this time] led the Brigade in cheering.
Sunday 10/5/42: Dull and cloudy. Heavy rain during afternoon and evening. Softball game against 'A' Sqn had to be called off on account of heavy rain. Church parade to Headley for Protestants and Bordon for R.Cs. Regiment was ordered to stand by as result of fire at Grayshott early Sunday morning.
Friday 15/5/42: Misty and cool, warming and clearing in afternoon. All afternoon parades cancelled for Regimental Field Day. A real Success. Garden plots put in by different men are beginning to produce fresh vegetables.
Sunday 24/5/42: Cool and cloudy with intermittent showers. Recent rains greatly helped countryside as earlier dry weather had retarded growth and caused many heath fires. Church Parades to Headley and Bordon.
Tuesday 26/5/42: Cold and almost continuous rain. Range practices on Conford A/Tk Ranges with Browning. 300 Coax M.G. are being held for all tank crews on a basis of 65 per Sqn and 15 from R.H.Q. Coax practice is fired single shot as 2pdr as practice for when Unit goes on 2pdr ranges in Wales to fire.
Friday 29/5/42: Cool but mostly bright. Regtl Dance Band played to well-attended Dance at Headley Village Hall. Normal Training.
Wednesday 3/6/42: Very warm and bright. The Q.M. Staff have worked very hard arranging the Marquees for the Demonstration of all equipment on charge to the Regiment. 3 Marquees have been set up as well as the complete assortment of vehicles on charge to the Regiment, including their equipment. The Ministry of Information full length film "Next of Kin" was shown to all ranks and was very favourably received. The film made a great impression from the Security point of view.
Friday 12/6/42: [Incorrectly says 6th June in 'All Tanked Up'] Cloudy with intermittent heavy showers. The Hon. Col. of the Regt. Major Gen. P.J. Montague inspected the Regt. at 1500 hrs on Headley Green. Our escort met him at 1155 hrs and conveyed him to the R.O.R. where he was met by the Commanding Officers Lt. Col. R.E.A. Morton. The party arrived at R.H.Q. mess at 1315 hrs where the following officers were introduced:-
Major E.B. Evans, 2i/c Regt. - Major H.C. Blandshard, O.C. 'H.Q' Sqn. - Major G.M. Churchill, O.C. 'A' Sqn - Major W.W. Halpenny, O.C. 'C' Sqn. - Capt. H.J. Peacey, O.C. 'B' Sqn - Capt. J.M. Bowie, Adjutant. - Capt. C.W. Bailey Ass't Adjutant - Lieut. H.M. Sleigh. - Lieut H. MacEwing, Paymaster - Brigadier J. Rutherford, O.C. 1 C.A.B. - Major Turnbull, B.M., 1 C.A.B.
Major Gen Montague was accompanied by Capt. Laury Andraine, Photographer who took pictures of the days proceedings. At 1400 Hrs he was taken for a drive in "Royal Betty" commanded by Capt. A.S. [Alex] Christian. Upon return he inspected the Regt. At approx. 1600 hrs a picture was taken of the General and the Colonel surrounded by the Officers perched on a couple of General Lees. At 1700 hrs the party left for C.M.H.Q. escorted by the Regt'l D.R.'s. The General expressed his pleasure at the turn out of the Regt and addressed all Ranks while on Parade. The march past, led by the Regt'l band took place, saluting base being in front of old tree opposite 'A' Sqn orderly Room.
Monday 15/6/42: Clear and fairly warm. Normal training. The Unit was notified of a number of parcels and cigarettes lost by enemy action in transit here. Pay parade in evening for all Sqns. [James Desaulnier signed "came from Canada" in the Church Gate Stores attic on this date]
Wednesday 17/6/42: Warm and bright. Normal training. Permission has been granted for men to wear shirtsleeves on duty and to and from meals providing web belts are worn during the warm weather. [Lieut. Squires of the Lord Strathcona's Horse regiment was killed falling from a tank in training on Ludshott Common this day - but not mentioned in the Garry's diary]
Friday 19/6/42: Warm with some cloudy periods. Still a large number of men proceeding on various courses. The talk of the "Second Front" is main topic among the men.
Wednesday 24/6/42: Still remaining dry and clear. Crops in locality need rain. Inter Sqn ball games etc in afternoon. Regt'l tennis Doubles tournament started.
Wednesday 1/7/42: [Dominion Day] Cloudy, rather cool in morning. Proclaimed a holiday although training continued on Ludshott Common and firing parties were on Conford Ranges.
Saturday 4/7/42: Cloudy, showers. Training carried out all day on Ludshott Common and Conford Ranges. D38025 Tpr. Fine J. 'H.Q.' Sqn, was tried by Court Martial and found guilty by the Court of striking a superior Officer. Court held in Hatch House Barn.
Wednesday 8/7/42: Bright and warm. Occasional Clouds. The Regt paraded at 'H.Q.' Sqn Vehicle Park at 1600 Hrs and then marched to Bordon station. [Arrived Pembroke 0630 Hrs. next day. R.C.A.S.C. Vehicles convoyed the Unit to Merrion Camp. Gun firing practice at Linney Head over the next few days.]
Friday 17/7/42: Cloudy occasional showers. The Regt returned to Lindford and Headley leaving Pembroke in the Morning. Haversack lunch was carried and tea was obtained at Bristol. Regt'l Convoy from Bordon Station to Sqn Areas.
Saturday 18/7/42: Sky overcast, showers. Rear party returned from Merrion Camp. General settling down after return from Wales. Picture show Headley Village Hall in the evening.
Sunday 19/7/42: Bright not very warm. Church parades to Headley Church and Halehouse Chapel.
Sunday 26/7/42: Bright, warm. Church parade to Headley Church. After the Service a march past was held Lt Col Morton taking the salute. The saluting base was under the large tree opposite the Holly Bush Inn, Headley.
Wednesday 29/7/42: Bright, warm. Advance party packed and loaded ready to move to new location at Hove on the South Coast. Normal training for the Remainder of the Regt. Brigade Quiz on Map Reading, Field craft, Etc.
Saturday 1/8/42: Bright and warm. There was a Regtl Parade at St Lucia Barracks to-day - Lt Col R.E.A. Morton inspected the Regt and afterwards took the salute as the Regt marched past first in Column of Troops then in Column of Route. The officers held a garden party in the afternoon at Pound Cottage ('C' Sqn officers Mess) Headley. The was well attended by local inhabitants as well as a number of Officers and their Ladies from our own and other Units.
Thursday 6/8/42: Dull in the morning, clearing up in the afternoon. Reveille was early this morning also Breakfast. Kitchen vehicles and baggage was quickly loaded. Echelon Rdv at 'B' Sqn Tank party and proceeded to Frensham Common thence to Hove. There was one casualty enroute when an 'A' Sqn lorry turned over in the ditch. The driver suffered minor injuries.
Saturday 8/8/42: Dull with overcast sky. Some light showers in the late afternoon and evening. The Regt is pretty well settled down with only a few minor details to be seen to. Lt Col Morton spoke to all ranks this morning on the new phase of training that we are going into. An area on the South Downs Training area has been allotted to us. This evening there were several short Air Raid warnings. When the sirens went for the last warning immediately the A/A Guns opened up. This was the first time most of the men had heard A/A fire and there was plenty of excitement. It was reported that an enemy plane was shot down over the Channel. H26532 Tpr. Brooks R.A. was accidentally shot by B61419 Tpr. Mitchell W.E. at Headley where both men were on the Regt'l Rear Party [Occurred outside the Church Gate Stores building].
Wednesday 12/8/42: Cloudy, light scattered showers. This afternoon H26532 Tpr. Brooks, R.A. was buried in Brookside Cemetery with full Military Honours. There was an alert this morning early and local A/A opened fire.
Friday 14/8/42: Bright and warm. Sqn Training. There was a short Alert early this morning also one at noon today. The regt was paid this evening. A court of enquiry was held today at Winchester, Hants. for the purpose of inquiring into the circumstances surrounding the death of H26532 Tpr. Brooks, R.A. President - Major E.B. Evans, Members - Capt. C.M. McLean, and Lieut. W.E.A. McMithell.
Wed 19/8/42: Bright and Warm, light showers in evening. Normal training for Sqns. Great excitement throughout the Regt on hearing the news of Canadian and Allied Landings at Dieppe. Continuous stream of British planes over here on route to French coast. This afternoon one of our ships was bombed just off shore and our shore batteries opened up. The plane was brought down. Bde orders in at 1640 hrs for men to pack and make ready to move. Bde conferences at 1700 hrs. However no counter measures were taken by the enemy, but the general feeling of being close to action has proved a marvellous boost to the morale and the keenness of the men.
Thursday 20/8/42: Bright and warm. Normal training. Some enemy activity overhead in the evening and local A/A batteries opened up. The Garry Volleyball team beat the Westminster and LSH teams to win the Brigade Championship. [Trooper J.L. Desaulnier F.G.H. D.R. signed his name again in the Church Gate Stores attic in Headley]
Friday 21/8/42: Bright and warm. Some scattered showers in evening. Normal training. Rear party returned from Headley. The Regimental Volleyball Team carried on their record by winning the Divisional Championship.

The regiment moved on to Crowborough in October, and back to Hove in December. On 11th January 1943, they heard with disappointment that they were to be reassigned to a new Brigade, and were moved back inland to Aldershot. Then on 22nd February 1943, they were posted to Lindford & Headley again where they were to remain until June of that year.

We will pick up the story of their second visit here in our next issue.


Elsie Johnson (neé Pearce) — photo

My parents came to live at Hillside in Fullers Vale (the old shop) during March of 1914, when I was 10 months old.

I think one of my first memories of the pond was the use made of it by the ducks owned by Mr Hall, our nearest neighbour. Each morning they would waddle in view of our kitchen window to the pond where they spent the day. No assistance was needed to help them cross the road, for motor traffic hardly existed then.
Later I have happy memories of paddling on hot summer days in the cool, constantly running water.
A huge beech tree grew at the far end, on the edge of a field. From the bank below it a spring flowed continuously, keeping the water sparklingly clear. The tree had low, spreading branches on which, as children, we could sit dabbling our feet in the water, while watching the numerous beautiful dragonflies, and occasionally a kingfisher.

Tiny fish also were a joy to watch, and tadpoles to catch in their season!
Rushes grew abundantly around the pond's edges, which we made a hobby of plaiting and making into mats and tiny baskets.

In winter, when frozen, it became a great attraction to numerous children from near and far who would slide on it, and several young people from the larger houses came to skate and even ski from Mr Phillips' woods adjoining Hurland Lane, finishing their run on the frozen pond.

Accidents happened on the sharp corner of the road near the pond. I well remember my father being called upon to help rescue passengers from cars, trapped in the water. In 1935, for example, we heard, "The Rector's car is in the pond!" Great excitement. Actually it was Alec Alexander, the curate. His fiancée lived at Merrow, a long way to cycle, and he had just bought a car and was an inexperienced driver.

In those days, a stream always ran from the pond along the left-hand side of the road towards Headley, but entered a culvert under the road before the hill, where it continued down the valley to Arford.

Towards the end of the War, when Ludshott Common had been stripped of all vegetation by the tanks training there, Pond Road became the catchment area for water draining off the common land, and that caused the pond to overflow and flood really seriously, becoming a positive river flowing rapidly through to Arford.

My parents' shop suffered badly from the flood water, and I almost needed a boat to go to All Saints' for my wedding in October 1942-the 'river' had been running for 3 days! This happened repeatedly thereafter, and explains why the pond was eventually drained-but it completely changed what was once a delightful scenic corner of Headley.

Mr Laverty, the rector until 1928, had also taken an interest in the fortunes of this pond earlier in the century. The following entries of his are taken from the parish magazines of the time, and make interesting reading in relation to the problems of 1942 noted above:—

March 1910
I should like it to be remembered that up to about 1904 the pond No.1035 (number taken from the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1897) opposite to Chatterton Lodge in Fuller's Bottom, constantly overflowed; the little stream crossing the road No.983 which is to the west of the pond, and flowing down the north side of Fuller's Bottom road No.968 into the lower pond No.976.
Sometime before the little stream ceased to flow, a pump had been placed in the east end of the pond No.1035, and the stopping may have been due to this. Or it may have been due to the addition of wells that had everywhere been dug. Or the spring may be of the nature of a siphon, and may again flow when the underground reservoir is once more full.

March 1914 [Refers back to the 1910 entry, then]:
For some months the water in the pond has been gradually rising; and now water is flowing from the pond; so that the siphon theory seems to be correct.

October 1921
The Spring and Summer of 1893 were very dry; and up to that time the pond at Chatterton Corner in Fuller's Vale constantly overflowed, the little stream crossing the road and flowing down the north side of Fuller's Vale into the lower pond. Then it ceased to flow for some years.
In the Parish Magazine for March 1914 it was noted that the water in the pond had been gradually rising; and was once again flowing from the pond. It will be interesting to see if there is a similar result this year or next, after the long drought.

June 1922
In the October magazine, I wrote that it will be interesting to see if, in consequence of last summer's drought, the little stream at Chatterton Corner in Fuller's Vale will cease to flow. It has ceased; and, judging by our last experience, it may not begin to flow again for 20 years.

In April 1973, a large pipe was laid under Fullers Vale road, leading from the bottom of the pond to an outlet further down the valley. This was intended to stop the flooding. Despite local protests, it also had the effect of permanently draining the pond, which has since become a bit of an eyesore.

Stop Press:
The pond was restored in 2003 – see latest information

This site maintained by John Owen Smith